Let’s get into context!. Linen is a textile made from flax/linseed natural fibers, that has been used for its quality and resistance since ancient times, and it is considered a luxury for buyers. Although a linen garment may seem “expensive” , it is not. Contrary to what people think, it is easy to care for and keep. It can even last in good conditions for many years. As all garments, you just have to have an affectionate care.
Let’s go straight to the point. It may sound obvious but it is recommended to follow these steps if you want to make your best out of your linen garments…
First and foremost, GOLDEN RULE:
DO NOT WASH YOUR GARMENT IF IT IS NOT NECESSARY, AIR YOUR GARMENTS BUT DO NOT WASH THEM EVERY TIME YOU WEAR THEM. AVOID ITS WEAR AND TEAR AND THE WATER WASTE.
1. It is best to wash your linen clothing by hand. You can also use a washer machine with a delicate and short cycle. Make sure you put your garment inside of a cloth bag for you to protect the fabric, and wash it with other similar colored garments.
2. Always wash in cold water. This avoids the fabric to shrink or deform.
3. We suggest you wash with a neutral liquid detergent solved in water, and then submerge the garment in it, or put it in the washer machine. This step is important because when applying detergent directly, possible patches may be formed due to fabric accumulation (do not let your garment to soak).
4. Avoid spinning-drying your linen in the washer machine. Do it by hand and do not wring out more than necessary, as it is a filmy cloth and can dry easily.
5. Never use the dryer! This is the principal reason why garments shrink and deform. It is better to dry naturally, in the shade and using hangers.
6. If you want to iron your clothes, the best time is when they are still a little damp. Be careful! It must not be wet. Always steam iron inside-out at medium temperature, or using a cloth.
7. Lastly, hang your garments in your closet to avoid too many wrinkles or fold them as you want, but never use plastic bags as the humidity can make fungi grow.
As you see, there are many factors that can influence our garment wear and tear, if we don’t take into account these few tips. By following them, you’re saving money and taking care of natural resources. It would be amazing if all of us began to be more aware of our daily actions, that sometimes we do without noticing and understanding why things happen. Help us to help and take care of our common home, our planet.
Thanks for making it to the end, don’t forget to let us know your comments below. Tell us if you already started to follow these steps to take care of your clothing, or did you already know how to do it?
Love, Vero 😉